PHOTOGRAPHIC AND X-RAY LABORATORYIt is extremely important for owners of works of art to have photographic documents of all of them. They will be required for taking out insurance policies, recovery in cases of theft, study by historians, etc.
To complete the data obtained in the photographic lab, such as infra-red photography or x-rays, it is also necessary for our chemical lab service to carry out a materials analysis that will provide the remaining information we need in order to make a full study of the piece.
Recovering a picture of St. Barbara (17th century Spanish School, with italian influences) on top of which a false El Greco had been painted
1. A general photograph of the painting when it first arrived at Restauro Van Dyck. It had been attributed to El Greco.
2. General x-ray of the picture: analyses had shown that the wrongly-attributed El Greco had been painted in modern times, using plastic materials. Our x-ray confirmed the suspicion that another painting of greater quality lay underneath.
3. Photograph of the picture half-way through the process of recovering the original painting.
4. Preparing and assembling the micro-sample.
5. Materials analysis and obtaining micro-photographs.
Micro-section of the paint
© 2016 Restauro Van Dyck.SERVICES | RESTAURO VAN DYCK | LABORATORY | LOCATION / CONTACT
All rights reserved